Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Quote and Scary Story of the Day...

"I've come to the frightening conclusion that I am the decisive element in the classroom. It's my daily mood that makes the weather. As a teacher, I possess a tremendous power to make a child's life miserable or joyous. I can be a tool of torture or an instrument of inspiration. I can humiliate or humor, hurt or heal. In all situations, it is my response that decides whether a crisis will be escalated or de-escalated and a child humanized or de-humanized."

Dr. Haim Ginott







What a powerful responsibility. I have to remember that every child is someone's Taylor, Averi and Connor.

OK...so I have a scary story. Last night everyone was ready for bed. I was doing some last minute things trying to get ready for our busy day today. I went out to the garage to get something out of the car. When I walked into the garage I noticed the passenger side door was open. It's one of the those sliding mini-van doors. I thought one of the kids must have left it open on accident. I was on my way to shut it when the door began to shut on its own. No one was in the garage but me. No one had the keys...we leave them in the car. It freaked me out a little...I was stunned, but figured it was a fluke thing.

Well...this morning I was up unusually early because I had a meeting to be at. I was getting ready to leave and needed to put some things in the car. I opened the door to the garage, and as soon as I stepped from the house into the garage the passenger side door of the van opened...like it knew I was coming. It kind of took my breath away. And, honestly, in that moment I was scared. It was dark and no one was around. It disturbed me so much that I woke up Chad to tell him. I can't explain it, but it's what happened. WEIRD!
Photobucket

4 comments:

brandi said...

1. I absolutely LOVE the quote.

2. I'm afraid I would have wet myself.

Gordy and Ruth said...

Amazing quote I love it, it's actually hanging on my office wall :)...your van story is very odd!! Good luck student teaching, I know you'll do great!!

Jennifer said...

AMANDA! What crazy things are happening in your garage??? Have you figured out what it is yet???
MAYBE...it's because you, yourself, have SUCH an fantastic electro-magnetic personality...it's cause a short or something. ha!

And I think teachers are AMAZING! You totally set the mood in the class...and God is putting you in the place to make a difference in the lives of children and help them along the paths of their destiny. It's an unfathomable honor...and I know God has truly picked the right girl for it!

Micah and Colby Malouf said...

I totally use this quote at the letter I send home to my parents at the beginning of the year!!!