Monday, January 11, 2010

Calm in the Chaos...

So...with my mind going in a million different directions, things seem pretty chaotic right now...internally and externally. It's like so many things need my attention and need to get done, I'm not sure where to focus first. Chad always says he feels sorry for my brain because I never give it a rest. It is so true...my mind is constantly thinking and planning and going going going. Frankly it's annoying and a little overwhelming at times. Are there meds for that??

So I have decided to turn what seems impossible into little, manageable weekly goals. One of these areas is weight. I can't tell you how many times I have been inspired to get healthy only to give up when I didn't see immediate results. I decided a few weeks ago to take control of food instead of allowing the food to control me. I have lost 3 pounds so far.

One of the best FREE apps on iPhone (and Facebook) is Lose it! You enter your current weight and goal weight and it gives you a timeline for your success. It also counts your calories (burned and consumed) and helps to keep you on track. My weight loss goal is 29 more pounds. If I lose one pound a week I should reach my goal by August 2nd. A pound a week is much more manageable than focusing on the entire 29.
lose_it-777555

This really was a lightbulb moment for me. I don't have to accomplish everything all at once. All I have to do make mini goals and start there. Eventually I will be at my goal weight, the house will be in order, and all will be right with the world. When I have unrealstic expectations I only set myself up for failure and disappointment.

Another important thing I have decided to do is start the morning off with some quiet time. I am not a morning person so I feel I this is extra imperative...for my sake and my family's :) I hate beginning the day rushed and grumpy. This will help to center my thoughts and prepare me for the day ahead. Lately I have really been convicted about what kind of parent I am. This was my prayer this morning.

Lord

Help me to see my children through your eyes.

Help me to understand how precious and fleeting is the time we have with them.

Please give us wisdom and discernment as we raise them.

Please help us to see the big picture...not just today.

Please give us vision and purpose...dreams and goals.

I want our kids to choose us when they have a choice...please help us to be parents worth choosing.

Let us savor these days, months, and years...not just survive them.

Life is a gift...Thank You!!
Photobucket

5 comments:

brandi said...

Love it! Great blog post. I know you can do it and I love you're approach. I'm going to have to check out that app!

Gordy and Ruth said...

WOW! That is an amazing blog and I love the prayer, I think I'm going to print it out! Thanks for writing it for me :) After this stressful day that was EXACTLY what I needed to sit down and read, and you can do it, you're an AMAZING person!! Love ya girl!!

Anonymous said...

I will be praying for you during this crazy time in your life. For what it is worth my suggestion is to do exactly what you are doing. When you are a full time working mom you have to simply take one day at a time. The hardest but best thing I did when I worked was made myself get up early. I eventually loved the quiet, and I was ready before anyone else was up, and the mornings went so much smoother. If you can start the day off with a peaceful morning normally the rest of the day will follow. I'm here if you need anything.

mandal said...

Thank u Ruth and Kelsey!

dondi said...

You have great insight & wisdom! Getting up early is a wonderful idea to get you started for sure. Your children will always choose you because you ARE a parent worth choosing!!