Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Miss My Family...

This past June marked the 10th anniv of my grandfather's (mom's dad) death. He died just before Chad and I got engaged. He never had the chance to meet our kids, but he would have loved Taylor, Averi, and Connor. I remember he would always kiss the top of my head and slip me a $20 when we would say goodbye. I sometimes still have dreams about him.

My cousin, Kate, and I used to stay with my grandparents for a week in Shamrock every summer. Jack (we always called him by his name) would leave early every morning to meet his other farmer friends for coffee. He would come home every day for lunch (soup and crackers) while he watched a western. And Mema had dinner ready every night when he came home from working the land and the cattle. Kate and I would have fun sneaking Mema's cigarettes from her (the hole we burned in her curtain is still there to this day) and walking to town for a little shopping.

Well through the wonderful technology of the internet and social networking sites like fb I am able to keep up with family that lives far away. Today I was chatting with Theresa, one of my aunts, and we were discussing the last time we all got together. Connor wasn't even born yet...and Averi wasn't even two. I guess I didn't realize just how many years it had been. It made me sad to know that we haven't made more of an effort. It's crazy how days turn to months, and months to years so quickly.


So we decided that it was time to reunite! Hopefully everyone will be able to come to Lubbock this fall like we used to for a Tech football game and a little 50 Yard Line food!

For some reason when I think about Jack I remember this picture. This is how I remember him...smiling and happy. He was a good ole' man!
scan0001
Photobucket

3 comments:

Davis Family said...

Awww Amanda look at what a baby you were! I'm with ya I have some awesome memories from my grandparents & I misss them so much, but I thank God I was given those times & look forward to seeing them again someday.

brant said...

ok sis, so what's the date? who are we playing, because i know theresa won't let it be a TCU game!

dondi said...

Sounds like ya'll are going to have a fun time at the game! Thank the Lord that He has given us great memories to treasure! I know that Jack was one of your best, what a great grandfather!! And I know there are millions of wonderful memories to be made still !!!