Sunday, December 21, 2008

Holy Crap...

Literally! Friday night I was assaulted in my own home by the worst episode of explosive diarrhea I've ever seen or smelled...courtesy of Connor. It started out a quiet, peaceful evening with just the three of us: Chad, Connor and myself. The girls were spending the night with Granna and Gramps. Connor had been there earlier while Chad and I went to the show. When we picked him up I noticed that his pants had been changed. Granna informed me that it had started...the diarrhea. Well, I didn't think much of it. He's on antibiotics and the dr. had warned us about the possibility of the "big D" as a side effect. So we arrived home, got Connor tucked into bed and settled in for the night. I did my usual double-check on Connor after he was good and asleep, and everything appeared to be A-OK! I would now be able to sleep peacefully.

I don't know what time in the night it was, but at some point this god-awful smell penetrated my R.E.M. sleep, entered my dreams and eventually woke me up. I couldn't tell if it was coming from Chad or if it was just a figment of my imaginatation. I wasn't 100% conscious at this point, so I ignored it and went back to sleep. There is no telling how many hours I laid there inhaling those toxic fumes. But never in a million years did I think that the terrible odor would be drifting from Connor's room all the way into ours.

Finally at 5a.m. I got up...I couldn't take it anymore. I came within three feet of Connor's room when the smell almost knocked me off my feet. I walked in and saw that the poor, helpless baby was sound asleep, covered in poo from head to toe. Needless to say, he had an early Saturday morning bath. By the time I got him cleaned-up and dressed, Chad was coming-to and the smell was starting to hit him. I was in the funky-smelling room, trying not to throw up as I took the sheets off, when Chad walked in to help. The first words (after gagging) out of his mouth were: "You need to Lysol the hell out of this room." No joke!

So Chad ran to United for some fresh air and Lysol; and Connor and I went back to bed where we enjoyed some good, clean-baby cuddle time.

5 comments:

amazz said...

Aw, poor baby. And poor mama for having to clean that all up! I've found that Febreeze air freshener really does work, so if you have any lingering smell, you might want to try that. :D

Jennifer said...

Oh my goodness that is so flippin funny!!! Poor Connor though! It's amazing that he actually slept through the horrifyingness! That's a boy for you!!

Anonymous said...

AHHH....MY POOR BABY!!! LYSOL IS THE BEST!

Anonymous said...

I totally could have written this myself. I have had the exact same experience only I was pregnant and ended up doing more than gagging... then I had EXTRA mess to clean up.

That lysol comment had me rolling on the floor laughing.

Hope he feels better soon!

Tanna's Triplets said...

HAHA, We went through 1 can of Lysol when the babies had a virus during Christmas. Yuck. I hope you are all better now!!!