Sunday, October 4, 2009

Shamr♣ck...

I love small towns for the same reason I can't stay in one for more than a couple of days. Minutes can feel like hours, and days like weeks. But Shamrock holds a special place in my heart. And everytime I go, it's like going back in time. NOTHING ever changes. It's comforting yet a little disturbing at the same time. Even the can of Lysol in Mema's bathroom is...oh...10 plus years. It has become a permament fixture. Oh my!

Shamrock is where my mom's side of the family celebrated Christmas every year. It's where I spent a week almost every summer growing up. It's where my grandparents raised their family. Now when I go, there is a sad emptiness about it. A lot of the old shops I used to love are long gone. So many of Mema and Jack's friends are gone. Jack is gone too.


We were hoping to make it to a high school football game, but they had the week off. I would love to see life there from a young person's perspective. I wonder if they still hang out in the DQ parking lot or race the drag! Everyone knows everything about everybody...that's for sure!

So we wanted to make one last trip before Mema moved to Lubbock. Connor had never been, and the girls were just babies the last time we were there. It was a nice, short trip. We got to visit the old farms and just hang out with Mema. The drive was even fun. We took the back roads...it was much prettier that way.

DSC_0045
Jack's farm out west

DSC_0036
Land at Kelton


DSC_0041
Jack's grave in Kelton


5b7
In front of Mema's house

DSC_0030
Playing


DSC_0012
Spinning in Jack's old chair
Photobucket

3 comments:

Davis Family said...

Precious memories! Glad you got to share it with your kids....you got some really amazing pictures to remember it by, too!

The Louders said...

What a sweet post---love the pics and memories!! Glad you got to go again before the move. Connor cracks me up--his faces in these pics are priceless. :) Hey, you really r a good photographer...the one on Mema's porch makes you a pro. :)

dondi said...

I'm so glad ya'll got to go! What wonderful memories & what precious children!