Monday, November 23, 2009

Goodbye Oprah...A Year From Now

I've been watching Oprah since I was in the 7th grade...if not longer. I don't agree with her politics, but one of my dreams has always been to one day attend a taping of her show. That hasn't happened yet, and probably won't, but I did get the next best thing.

In February of 2004 Chad and I went to Chicago for a weekend. He had an interview for an internship with a sports training facility. We were this close to spending that summer in Chi-town. He took another offer in VA instead.

But while we were there I HAD HAD HAD to visit Harpo Studios. I still get excited thinking about it now! I remember we walked up to the building...I was so close yet so far away to my dream coming true. The doors were locked, but right next to the doors was a plate-glass window and a security officer working inside. My sweet husband knew how badly I wanted in so he asked the guard if they offered any tours of Harpo. No they didn't. I guess the sweet man could see the longing in my face, because he opened the doors and welcomed us in.

OH MY GOSH!! I was inside of Harpo! The first thing I noticed were the staircases on either side of the big, open room. And at the top of the stairs, on the wall that overlooked the whole room, was a large portrait of O...it was a surreal moment for me. I stood there for a minute just taking everthing in, then the guard asked if I wanted to see the studio where the show tapes. UM, YES!!! So he led us to a door on the left side of the big room, openend it, and we were standing backstage of the studio. He led us to the stage...the stage where O stands everyday on national television! The studio was dark, it was just Chad, me and the sweetest security officer on earth:) I could have stayed there a long time just staring at all the empty seats. Crazy but true. I asked if I could take pictures...he said no. Apparently only the official Harpo photographer is allowed to take pics. I was just grateful to be let in at all.

On our way out I thanked the man profusely. He gave me an Oprah mug and we went on our merry way! It was the best day!


Now Oprah is saying goodbye after next season, and I'll admit it makes me a little sad. But at least I have this picture and the memories!























Photobucket

No comments: