Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Happy 7th Birthday, Taylor...

Seven Years
Norah Jones

Spinning, laughing, dancing to her favorite song
A little girl with nothing wrong
Is all alone

Eyes wide open
Always hoping for the sun
And she'll sing her song to anyone
that comes along

Fragile as a leaf in autumn
Just fallin' to the ground
Without a sound

Crooked little smile on her face
Tells a tale of grace
That's all her own

Spinning, laughing, dancing to her favorite song
A little girl with nothing wrong
And she's all alone

Taylor 006




Dear Taylor,

It's hard to believe that 7 years ago today, we met you for the very first time. I wish I had pictures to post of that memorable day - but that was back in ancient history when all we had were film cameras:) Anyway...on June 18, 2001 at 12:16 PM you were born, and we were changed forever. Honestly, I was a little scared. I had never loved something or someone SO much. I guess that's what becoming a mom does to you.
A lot has happened between now and then:


  • We've grown from a family of 3 to a family of 5
  • Your dad and I graduated from Tech...FINALLY
  • We've moved twice and had 4 different cars
  • We lived in D.C. for one amazing summer
  • Diddy went to be with Jesus
  • Two cousins were welcomed to the family
  • You've been on 1 soccer team (didn't like it:)
  • You've been in 4 dance recitals
  • Granna and Gramps came back to Lubbock

Everyone told us that time would fly. They were right! Your dad and I surely aren't old enough to have a kid in the 2nd grade who can read and write. Looking back, when we had you, we were practically babies ourselves:) Well you certainly are not a baby anymore! And we are having so much fun watching you grow into a beautiful young lady - inside and out.
One thing I've really noticed about you this past year is your self-confidence. You've got self-confidence, girl! And that makes me breathe a huge sigh of relief. I've watched you handle situations with your friends and classmates - and I know that if it was me at your age, even now, I would be a little less sure of myself. You brush yourself off, hold your head high, and keep on goin'! I'm sure it has a lot to do with the "Dream Team" (i.e. your friends and family) that surrounds you with love and prayer. Another gift you have that I see blossoming is your compassionate spirit. You are so kindhearted and concerned about others. From giving away your last 50 Honey Bucks to someone who didn't have any, to taking care of me when I was sick - you really care and want to help. You are an awesome gift to us!
I just want you to know how proud we are of you. We love you with all of our hearts. You are the one who made us "Mom" and "Dad", and that is so special.
We love you to the moon and back!


Love,
Mom

"Look...and be utterly amazed. For I am going to do something in your days that you would not believe, even if you were told."

Habakkuk 1:5

8 comments:

Davis Family said...

HAppy Birthday Taylor!

Aww that was such a sweet letter! I love that you said "you're the one that made us mom and dad"...I never thought of it that way! I hope the next 7 years don't fly as quickly as the first.

Anonymous said...

Aww- I forgot today was your REAL birthday. I hope you got to feeling better! Happy birthday Taylor!!! We cant wait for your swim party!
Kristi & Sydney

Anonymous said...

Wow, that letter made my eyes well up with tears. You guys are a great family, and I am glad I am part of it! Happy Birthday Taylor!
Love,
Uncle Brant

CONNIE said...

What an awesome blog!! You made me cry! I know Taylor will cherish it her whole life. You are a great Mom! Please tell Taylor I said "Happy Bithday!"

CONNIE said...

Oops! I mean Birthday. Just another Connie story in the making!

Jennifer said...

Such a precious blog!
You are an amazing mom!

I can't believe she's really 7...too much

AND...So glad all went well with her surgery!!

Jamie said...

Ok... TEARS! You made me cry! I remember when Taylor was born! She is a beautiful girl with wonderful parents! :) Love this blog...

Anonymous said...

Your letter will be a special treasure for her!